Advantages, Disadvantages and Strategies Involved During Internal Recruitment
Most businesses might decide that it has the right set of people who possess the right skills to complete their tasks. Most internal vacancies are promoted and advertised internally using staff notice boards, intranets, internal magazines, internal staff meetings, and the like.
Here are some of the advantages of internal recruitment
Disadvantages of internal recruitment
- Existing employees are given greater opportunity for career growth
- Staff retention who have more than one skill
- Short induction and training period involved for retained employees
- Employees are aware of the abilities of their employees
- Less expensive process involved for recruiting rather than outside recruiting
- Limited number of potential aspirants and applicants for a particular job position
- External candidates might be a better fit for the job
- With an employee out of the position, there is another to be filled
- Existing staff will presume their automatic right of being promoted irrespective of their competency
- Businesses become resistant to change since there are no new perspectives which are brought in the organization
in an organization is a sensitive process and there are many organizations which have not been able to fill up job vacancies perfectly well. Most of the companies do not encourage their own employees to apply for very challenging jobs. This attitude makes employees to worry about their own credibility and talent. By opting for an internal recruitment strategy, most of these problems can be addressed.
The Internal Recruitment Strategy
The internal recruitment strategy is an extension of the regular recruitment process. This process drives the specifics for employee promotion and job vacancies. Many organizations fail to make the best use of internal talents for the benefit of their business.
need to be aware of the competition between internal and external applicants for a particular position. This decision is not about the overall recruitment strategy but actually reflects the corporate culture and values of the organization.
There is no rule which says internal candidates need to be preferred over external ones and that they are more talented over others. But it is necessary to promote job vacancies internally so that there is healthy competition between internal and external job candidates.
Internal Recruitment Promotion
Internal recruitment can prove to be a very dangerous HR process since it is very tricky. It brings into fore potential conflicts, between the HR person and the employee. Internal recruitment is not fully aligned with specific KPIs. The HR department has to devise a strategy to make employee lives easier.
The HR should teach employees to have the will and determination to apply for a new job challenge. The hot spots need to be identified for putting up job adverts.
The HR should also be willing to have clear rules for the internal recruitment process where the HR must protect employee interests from the managers while managers need to be protected against instability. The organization has gain from the employee’s new skills and abilities.
Internal recruitment might work even without rules in place but it only creates among employees and the working of the company. A unified approach is essential for its success.