Salisbury, NC, United States
May 04, 2021
About Retail Business Services
Retail Business Services is the services company of leading grocery retail group Ahold Delhaize USA, providing services to five omnichannel grocery brands: Food Lion, Giant Food, The GIANT Company, Hannaford and Stop & Shop. Retail Business Services leverages the size and scale of the local brands to provide industry-leading expertise, insights and analytics to support their strategies. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and we foster a community of belonging where everyone is valued. For more information, visit ****or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Position Title: Manager QA Tech Services
Position Location: Salisbury, NC
Serves as the science and technical expert in support of shaping and developing the overall Quality Assurance departments' strategy towards achieving consistent, effective and reproducible compliance programs across our retail brands, conventional distribution centers, fresh meat production facility, Peapod fulfillment/selection/processing facilities and company recall protocols and processes. Provides leadership, technical interpretations and resources to all QA teams supporting retail, DC functions and supply chain including: Federal regulations (FDA's FSMA, Seafood HACCP, Menu Labeling, USDA, recalls, W&M's, food labeling, FDA/State Food Codes, etc.); GFSI food distribution and processing compliance schemes). Assess, determine and direct continuous improvements and ensure a proactive product safety and sanitation operational plan through training, coaching, auditing and mentoring activities.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serve as our lead science and technical expert within the Quality Assurance function and support areas serviced.
• Direct, standardize and coordinate all aspects of the QA inspection program from the centralized fresh meat facility ensuring all products entering the AD supply chain meat company food safety standards and quality specifications.
• Lead direct team members in providing technical product safety and quality assurance expertise to all functional areas within AD and brands pertaining to compliance with federal regulatory requirements (FSMA, Seafood HACCP, Menu labeling, USDA, W&M's, Food Codes, food labeling, etc.).
• Direct and lead assigned QA team members and business partners towards achieving and maintaining annual GFSI accreditation within our distribution centers and food processing facilities.
• Direct, coordinate and lead all AD executional aspects of our internal product recall processes.
• Manage and facilitate collaboration amongst QA Brand Directors in aligning internal SOPs/SSOPs/SPTAs across the organization. Routinely interact and work in conjunction with AD product safety and quality assurance colleagues towards defining common product safety and quality programs while supporting unique supply chain solutions, as needed. Support our collective ‘product safety & quality voice’.
• Assist QA functions and accountabilities with critical business partners (C&S) in providing technical assistance and reviews.
• Collaborate within all QA functions and AD functional areas (Brand category teams, supply chain, etc.) to drive continuous improvements in product safety and quality and creation of targeted KPI's.
• Direct and lead team of associates responsible for creating, communicating and interpreting food safety and QA scorecards/dashboards and results across all QA areas, Brand results, DC, food processing and supply chain partners.
• Analyze, interpret and incorporate data across all QA brands, distribution centers and processing/fulfillment centers. Identify trends across all commodities and suppliers with poor quality history. Focus inspection team efforts using score carding and dashboard capability across all brands and distribution centers. Direct resources to increase inspection levels on products and suppliers with a poor quality history.
• Create and manage our corporate food safety training within corporate offices, retail and distribution centers.
• Provide technical expertise and be the key resource for retail and supply chain leadership including regulatory compliance, crisis management, cold chain management, product traceability, and required testing as needed.
• Responsible for validating internal commodity testing/assessment programs (seafood species, ground beef, environmental testing, etc.) for quality/food safety attributes across organization.
• Bachelor’s degree in life science (food science, biology, microbiology, community health) or public health field.
• Minimum of ten years of combined food safety and quality assurance related work within distribution, retail, food processing, and corporate environments with a proven track record of success.
• Knowledgeable of the Code of Federal Regulations, FDA and USDA Rules and Regulations impacting retail, distribution centers and food processing facilities relating to product safety and quality elements.
• Registered Sanitarian or state equivalent and Certified Professional-Food Safety (CP-FS) credentials.
• Certified as Food Protection Manager, Preventative Controls Qualified Individual, Food Safety Practitioner and HACCP Qualified.
• Food Protection Manager Certification.
• Experienced with GFSI certification (Practitioner Certification or equivalent)
• Seafood and Food Manufacturing HACCP Certification.
• Master’s degree in public health or food science related field.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to interpret and communicate technical information.
• Effective management skills - ability to manage team resources and to communicate and partner with senior management within and across the Brands.
• Ability to drive and demonstrate continuous improvements.
• Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects/demands simultaneously.
• Strong negotiating skills.
• Effective written and oral communication.
• Ability to work independently.
• Focus on developing self and others.
• Ability to influence without authority.
• Must have ability to act as a team leader or team builder.
• Demonstrated ability to provide leadership in Industry and Regulatory Associations.
• Develop contacts and relations with officials responsible for food regulation enforcement (FDA, USDA, Department of Agriculture, Weights & Measures, etc.).
• Overnight travel, as necessary (Approximately 20%).
• Valid driver’s license.